Sunday, November 14, 2010

Not quite enough sun for our solar heating...

It IS the middle of November. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that, for the first time in MANY months, our hot water wasn't really very hot this morning. The day was a little overcast for the first few hours, so I suppose there just wasn't quite enough sun. I tried it two or three times before giving in and switching on our electric water heater for twenty minutes. That gave sufficient extra power to make the water more than hot enough for my shower, and since then the sun has been out, so it's fine.

Since we don't have anyone in our guest flat at present, Richard has temporarily altered the switching on the solar panels so that all the power goes into the hot water tank for the main part of the house. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes.

In another couple of months I expect we'll routinely be using the electric water heater for 20, maybe even 40 minutes morning and evening. Once Summer ends in Cyprus, the weather does begin to feel more autumnal fairly rapidly. It won't be long before we need our warmer duvet at night.

No comments: